Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Future

While cleaning out my Bible, I found this paper stuck in between the pages; I don't know when I wrote it, or where I was, but I think that it is pretty good. And coming back from URBANAO9 it is really what I feel is going on. But more about that later. Here are the contents of the page:

Today, while hanging out with some friends from home, we were talking about the future, what out plans are and where were want to go. This got me thinking about the world's view on the future, and what it means to "not have it together."Ti is almost tragic when you don't know what you are going to dow with your life. I think that in this area, the world has it backwards. we should be longing for the unexpected, for the unknown, for God's call. We naturally want the comfort of knowing what is going on, knowing absolutely going to happen thee weeks, years, or decades from now. God's opinion on this matter is I believe, rather humorous, He sees our set ways and can tell that all we really want is control over out lives and futures. But what God wants control (he actually has it) over out lives, the great thing about God is that He lets us have control over our lives (up to a point). But one of the things God loves most is our willingness to do what he wants, to let go of our dreams of the future and to let Him lead. In Ephesians 1:4, Paul tells us that in Christ we are chosen to be predestined according to His plan that works together with GOd's will. This all is for God's glory. I don't know about you, but I would rather bring God Glory.

The question "what are you going to do after you graduate?" is a misleading question in my book. The future can take care of itself, it is the present that matters. what we do with our time and talents now is what brings God glory. Am I saying that we should not think and pray about the future? No! I am saying that we should spend less time worrying about weather or not we are going to grad school or not, and rather wonder how we can bring God glory today, how we can walk in God's joy, being a light to those around us. The focus should be more on today rather on tomorrow (Lk 12:22).

Should we stop thinking about what we will be doing in the future? No! Bur remembering that God has his own ideas about what He wants for us. he will eventually get his way in our lives, and we only have to embrace it. The more we plan out for out future, the more God will change, When we put our itinerary ahead of His we know that it will only be a matter o time before God gets His itinerary in. So, rather than plan out my life many times, making my wants a priority, I am just going to leave it in His hands from the beginning. This does not mean that I am not going to be thinking about the future, but it does mean that I will let Him be in charge of the big picture, because when I am ready, God will reveal what my next step will be, but until then, I know only what step I am to take today, trusting that God will give me the guidance I need to be able to live today the right way. Now the question is, can I live today in that way?

As I said before, I will write on Urbana later.
Blessings to all

No comments:

Post a Comment